It’s been a rather cold morning here in Sheffield despite reports of UK having a ‘heatwave’. I ask myself, ‘What is a heatwave?’ The weather forecast too reports that there will be thunder storms later in the day…and the current temperature feels like 16 Degrees Celcius. So, what is a ‘heatwave’?
Browsing through my ‘Bulletin Board’ on Friendster, I was hit by this question: How Malaysian are you? This is followed by a list of questions and a list of my honest answers:-
HOW MALAYSIAN ARE YOU?
1. How much is satu kupang?
2. Where’s the favourite spot to take wedding pictures in Taiping?
3. In what dialect is Apo Nak Di Kato?
4. Name at least five variations of roti canai.
5. What is the staple food of native Sarawakians?
6. Name a popular Malay ointment made from “cucumber”?
7. Name the sauce made from fish or shrimp that the Kelantanese love.
8. What does pi mai pi mai tang tu mean?
9. Which fruit is Ipoh famous for?
10. What is the English name for putu mayam?
11. “Lah” is to Peninsular Malaysians as”…”
12. What does ABC stand for?
13. How long is a sari?
14. Name Penang’s famous beach.
15. How do you order coffee mixed with tea at a kopitiam?
16. What’s on Malaysian TV at 8pm?
17. On one side of our RM1 coin is the bunga raya, what’s on the other?
18. Now, what’s on a 10 cents coin, then?
19. What was the name of the KL Commonwealth Games 1998 mascot?
20. When you fill in a form, if you’re not Malay, Chinese or Indian, you are…?
21. Who is Malaysia’s favourite Kampung Boy?
22. How did the word “gostan” come about?
23. Lobo’s Whispers in the Wind is the English version of which famous Malay song?
24. When did Malaysia last win the Thomas Cup?
25. What is the name of our national flag?
26. If you want 4D numbers, who do you consult?
27. What’s the name of the Malaysian-made 175cc motorbike?
28. Name our national bird.
29. If the father is a baba, and the mother is a nyonya, the what is the son?
1. What is kupang??
2. I have no clue!
3. please refer to answer No. 2
4. Roti Telur, Roti Banana, Roti Sardin, Roti Bom, Roti Hawaii (my favourite!)
6. Minyak Cap *oh gosh!! What’s cucumber in Malay?*
7. Please consult Darren Teo of Kelantan
8. I’m answering this with extreme pride: Pergi mari pergi mari tidak tentu !!!!!
10. No freaking idea!
11. please refer to previous answer
12. Air Batu Cachang! *Cachang is Kacang with a ‘C’, of course!*
13. At least 6 metres!
14. Hello~!!! People go to Penang for the FOOD not the beach right?!?!!?
15. If Nescafe with Milo is Neslo, then Nescafe with tea will be Nestea?
18. The new 10 cent coin bears a congkak!!
21. Darren Teo? (FYI: He’s my Uni classmate) =D heeehehehee…
22. Don’t know..but it means reverse right?
23. Please refer to answer no. 2
25. Bendera Malaysia <-- Somehow, I feel this answer is not-so-correct
26. My uncle…he buys lots of it!
28. Burung Kakak Tua! They even have a song for it!!
29. boy-boy / ah boy / ah jai?
Upon completion of this questionnaire, I believe I’m a true anak Malaysia. Bangga demi Negara!