Internet + Etiquette = Netiquette
Even on the internet, all users are advised to have their basic manners and courtesy in check. Simple stuff like thinking before you post, making sure you’re not typing everything out in CAPITAL LETTERS, be pleasant and do not aim to be sarcastic (bordering insults), etc.
The 2 types of internet species most notorious in creating hell (internet gangsters!) are:
– Flamers are the ones who post deliberate insulting and hostile messages on social/community discussion forums
– One of the causes of flaming is egocentrism – we assume we know a writer’s tone, which may lead to misinterpration of the writer’s intended meaning.
– The Flame Master: “there’s always a couple of people at the centre of the war; one of these may be a Flame Master. Usually self-selected as the owner of the ‘moral high ground’, the Flame Master has survived previous campaigns and even enjoys it. The Flame Master leads the attacks and carries the thread forward.”
– Flaming is a deliberate act, not an accident.
– Examples of how to start a Flame War: 1. Accuse your opponent of being overly sensitive, or suggest in a patronizing tone that they “must be having a bad day”, or 2. Claim that *everything* is a matter of opinion, that there are no such things as facts or truth, or 3. Change the subject by pointing out all of your opponent’s grammar and spelling mistakes. (hehe, i was laughing at this. ;P)
– Someone who comes into an established community forum and posts inflammatory, rude, repetitive or offensive messages designed intentionally to annoy and antagonize the existing members or disrupt the peace of the forum.
– Trolls are disruptive or usually attention-seeking, posting messages with intentional typos, or hateful comments to incite ‘war’, or opinionated messages without any proof or analysis to back up the messages.
– They don’t “get” that they are hurting real people. To them, other Internet users are not quite human but are a kind of digital abstraction. As a result, they feel no sorrow whatsoever for the pain they inflict. Indeed, the greater the suffering they cause, the greater their ‘achievement’ (as they see it).
– Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.
– Can be classified as having a Personality Disorder. ;P So you psychos out there, beware! Time to think carefully why you don’t have many good friends…. ;P
– It has been said that hiding behind a false name, created for flaming, or no name, is cowardly.
– Don’t badger other users for personal information such as sex, age, or location. After you have built an acquaintance with another user, these questions may be more appropriate, but many people hesitate to give this information to people with whom they are not familiar.
– How to deal with Trolls? IGNORE the idiots.
Purpose of this post? Don’t be a flamer or a troll!
Question: is posting the comment “lame” repeatedly on all the person’s post considered trolling?
If you have nothing nice to say, might as well shaddup, ya? ;P unless the person deserves it la.
Netiquette on wikipedia
Flame Warriors – picture profile and personality description provided (hilarious!)
How to Participate In a Internet Flame War – for humour
Internet + Etiquette = Netiquette